Join the Facebook Discussion Group
Support this show and get cool stuff
Merry X-(is for Xenomorph)-mas, everyone!
This week – in a brazen display of anachronism – original Future Fossils cohost, electronic music producer, and sci fi aficionado Evan Snyder and I go deep on what we liked and disliked about Alien: Covenant, and speculate on how this film fits into the still-murky larger mythos of Ridley Scott’s expanded Alien universe. We get into atheist Scott’s weird fixation with the Bible; how the Alien films represent and handle philosophical questions about the relationship between humanity and technology; and why people from the science-fictional future ARE SO DAMN STUPID.
“Reading Necronomicon at the New York Comic Con”
In This Episode We Discuss:
• Why are people are so damn stupid in the Alien movies – is it bad writing, or a realistic understanding of how dependent we will one day be on artificial cognitive augmentation?
• Nicholas Carr’s book The Glass Cage: Automation and Us
• Smartphone addiction & technology as prosthesis
• Was the neutrino burst that hit the Covenant an accident, or planned/intended?
• Is David actually rebelling, or still continuing to serve the Weyland-Yutani corporate program?
• Easter Egg: How do the various LV planets of the Alien franchise line up with chapters of Leviticus?
• Are the Engineers themselves bioengineered artificial organisms?
• The xenomorph life cycle: Why do we even have an Alien Queen? Is “egg-morphing” canonical?
• WTF was going on in that seemingly contrived last Daniels/Tennessee/Protomorph fight scene?
• The motif of creativity and the inability to create in the Alien movies
• NerdWriter’s great video on Logan and the extension of genres into self-aware post-genres
* Hideo Kojima about the Alien franchise
* How Blade Runner movies and Aliens films may be related
• How this film addresses society’s concerns about artificial intelligence
* Are the alien prequels actually about the production of the Alien franchise itself?
* Wall-E, Idiocracy, Blade Runner, The Fifth Element
* Christmas, Christ, and Antichrist in the Alien films
* Is Ridley Scott trolling us all?
* Bizarre (fan-shipped) possibility of a Star Trek/Alien crossover
Like this podcast and want to show support? Make a donation!
BTC = 1iLHDNzpRMiXn13ekB8iVEsvVFkRzkGVe
LTC = Ldg3JS4T2m8gFd8kQPaLpjcAiAXxdVthWQ
ETH = 0xddF0524510d6d802c3e9b0740D48CF893425664D
BCH = 1XyN5SRpQF7AuXnCvAEjNXMMMYRCW7Rgf
DASH = XwckYNsyYThWozWJqrtpeguEu9BAqi9gPj