Seizing the opportunity I decided to complete Editor Mode with my newfound extra time. It was a vanity project, something I really wanted to do because I believe it provides a function that writers have needed for a long time. But now I'm at a junction. Going forward I need to make a choice. Either I continue developing QW for the majority of my time and have writing as my hobby or QW becomes my part-time hobby again and development slows to a crawl.
This is where you come in! With your help I can devote the lion's share of my time to QW. The recent explosion in interest has introduced a large number of new users to Quoll Writer and many of them have made feature requests. I want to push ahead with QW's development but I need funding to do so.
Here's a brief list of the major features I'd like to add to QW in the future:
- Add documents to assets and characters
- Introduce scene and chapter planning
- Have a timeline allowing you to plan events and timings in your story
- Integrate with publishing tools and websites (such as Amazon, Lulu and Smashwords)
- Real HTML export
- Generate word clouds
- Print preview with better print handling and options
- ODT/PDF file import/export
- Introduce a "text tidy" that would allow you to format your text according to configurable rules, for example "2 spaces after a full stop" or "use this quotation character"
- More metrics/statistics and visual representations
- Beef up snapshots to be real backups
- Project/chapter versioning
- Build on and improve Editor Mode
- Create a "Find an Editor" website service
- Move QW to use JavaFX
The list of minor improvements is so long I won't even attempt to list them.
But let me be clear. Development of Quoll Writer will never stop while I have breath in my body and at least 1 finger that can use a keyboard. I use Quoll Writer for my own writing and I NEED Quoll Writer. It is only the pace of development that is changing. With your help I can keep the pace high and make QW even better.
What about a Mac version? I get a lot of requests for a Mac version but I believe that since it is a standalone project it would be better handled with a Kickstarter rather than as part of the normal development of QW. It also allows Mac users to get QW rather than non-Mac users having to pay for it. If you would be willing to fund a Kickstarter for a Mac version please let me know.