The project struck a chord and ended up reaching people all around the world. This Patreon is your invitation to work with us on future projects of this nature.
Who are you and what do you believe in?
We are a married couple Tae Phoenix and Noah Iliinsky. Tae is a performing artist and activist. Noah is a UX design strategist with subject matter expertise in information architecture. We believe in human rights, intersectionality, a science-based relationship to reality, and democratic norms and values.
What is subvertising?
Subvertising is the use of marketing techniques and paid media to spread messages intended to subvert existing power structures. It's a sad state of affairs that money is speech; but in a world where that's the case, it's clear that we need to democratize access to advertising. That's what we're doing.
What do you intend to do with my money?
At first, we'll use it to put out more airborne messages focused on:
- Demanding an independent investigation of any Trump collusion with Russia.
- Raising awareness of intersectionality among privileged people.
- Calling out the specific, observable impacts of global climate change.
Eventually, we plan to branch out into funding more complex subvertising efforts and linking them with multimedia and performing arts projects; but we're keeping it simple to start.
How often will I be charged?
Our current intention is to conduct three or four missions in a calendar year. To avoid being caught by surprise, we recommend that you turn on e-mail notifications from Patreon and ensure that messages from [email protected] go directly into your e-mail inbox. Patreon also allows users to set a monthly maximum spend and we encourage the use of this setting.
Who is going to make money from this and how much?
- The companies whose advertising inventory we purchase will be paid the fair market rate for the eyeballs they attract.
- For each mission, we will bring in subject matter experts - folks who are doing recognized work on the topic we're addressing - and pay them for the time and energy it takes to define the message and craft the story. These expenses will vary by project.
- Our creative work and logistical coordination has value and so, funds permitting, we will pay ourselves up to $300 per mission at a rate of $15/hour.
After each mission, Patreon contributors will get an overview of how their money was spent. If we have surplus funds, we will note how much and place that money in a war chest for future projects. The balance of the war chest will be noted and updated after each mission on this Patreon page.
What will happen to Resistance Air after Trump leaves office?
The social, political, and environmental problems facing humanity are not Trump-specific, and neither is this subvertising effort. Resistance Air is a long-term project and we intend to run it sustainably.
What will happen if Resistance Air has to shut down?
We will donate the balance of the war chest to the ACLU and post the receipt to this Patreon page.