If you're here, you probably already I'm a writer of fiction and non-fiction, and sometimes do talks/appear on radio and TV talking about things - writing, fiction, literary biography, Christopher Marlowe, William Shakespeare, and the Shakespeare authorship question. If you want to join me on this amazing journey I'm on, I'd love to have you on board. You can find out more about my past work on my website but my juiciest updates are saved for my patrons.
What am I writing?
- A novel about the real 18th-century pirate, Mary Read, who lived most of her life as a man. I'm 100,000 words in to the first draft.
- A short article rebutting Jonathan Bate's latest claims re Shakespeare using Warwickshire dialect.
- Shakespeare: The Evidence is on hold but I'll be getting back to it later this year as my schedule allows.
What have I written recently?
- A 9-minute academic stand-up routine which I delivered at the British Academy Summer Showcase.
- A rebuttal of a stylometric paper that took all but the two Tamburlaine plays away from Marlowe and gave them to someone else.
- A conference paper critiquing the methods used to give Marlowe co-authorship of Shakespeare's Henry VI plays, delivered at a conference in Kingston in November 2017 and shortened for delivery at the Marlowe Society of America conference in Wittenberg in July 2018.
Why I need patrons
Twenty years ago I became a single parent of 3 little boys. In 2000 I hooked up with a lovely man whom I later married but he became ill with ME/CFS and hasn't been in paid work since 2004, the year after our daughter was born. In the same year, my ex-husband cut off maintenance payments. For the last 14 years, I've been the sole provider for a household of 6 people. For the first decade this was with nothing more than a freelance writing income, and I sank very heavily into debt. I got funded for a PhD in 2005, which I undertook with the aim of improving my employability. Getting funded was amazing, but keeping my family clothed, fed and housed meant my debt kept growing. In 2011 a large advance for The Marlowe Papers got me away from the cliff edge, but for the next two years my income was minimal and my debts increased again. In 2013 I was fortunate enough to land some prize money and a half-time lectureship at Goldsmiths, University of London and my fortunes started improving. I still have a long way to go until I pay off all my debts, and work long hours every week to ensure both my paid work (teaching) and my speculative work (writing!) get done. With your help, I'd like to get to the point where I no longer lose sleep over money.
How Patreon Works
Patreon is the 21st century (crowdfunding) model of patronage. You pledge to support me with a small monthly amount - as little as $1. You might think it's pointless contributing so little, but it REALLY makes a difference. Why? Because every single Patreon contribution adds up to make a real difference to my being able to earn a living doing what I love and am uniquely equipped to do, rather than worrying about paying the bills and doing teaching and other kinds of work that eat up writing time. If you'd happily buy me a coffee (herbal tea, actually!), then why not become my patron?
What's In It For You?
I post monthly updates to let you know how things are going, and at higher levels of support, you'll get audio recordings of things I've already published with exclusive background info explaining how and why they were written, EXCLUSIVE audio extracts of the novel in progress, personally signed copies of the new novel when it comes out, even your name in the acknowledgements page! Just choose whatever level you fancy from the right-hand sidebar. I'm happy to answer questions from patrons; just let me know what you want to know!