Salty Runningis creating a community for serious women runners
Select a membership level
Dude. You're in. You are on the team. By helping us create SR, you have earned the right to boss us around. You'll get an invitation to our Top Secret Bosses Only mailing list, where very occasionally we will report to our bosses what we're doing to make SR the awesomest it can be, and accept feedback to help us make decisions about our future. Oh yeah - AND we'll give you our 10% Running Warehouse discount!
YOU ROCK! You've gone the extra mile ... or three miles, as the case may be. Your contribution will go a long way toward keeping Salty Running churning out great content. On top of that, you get on the Boss List, you get our Running Warehouse discount and Cinnamon will mail you a Salty Running sticker so you can show off your good taste!
A 10k well run is no small feat, and contributing to SR at the 10k level means that in a year you'll have paid for a month of hosting. That's no small feat! On top of that, you get on the Boss List, you get our Running Warehouse discount and Cinnamon will mail you a nifty Salty Running sticker pack.
We believe running is one of the finest avenues toward pursuing greatness that a person can choose, and that all types of runners deserve a voice in the global conversation about running, from collegiates to masters runners, from elites to beginners to lifetime back-of-the-packers, from moms to single ladies and cat ladies alike.
We've been doing this a long time, and we've built an amazing community around it! But as our audience has grown, so has our operational costs. The time has come for us to ask our readers to get involved. By participating as a Salty Running patron, you are helping us create avenues for women runners of all types to raise their collective voices in support of one another (and even in support of the beardy guys too).
- To create high quality written posts aimed at helping our readers achieve greatness as runners and as humans
- To cover the sport of running from women's perspectives
- To never compromise our authenticity
- To offer our contributors rewards for the work they do
How we will use the money
Operational costs - Achievable with $100/month
- Hosting - we need to be able to handle a lot of traffic! That means a high-quality managed hosting plan, so the site doesn't go down even when we write really awesome stuff
- Development - Sure, Cinnamon may have built Salty Running, but she's a filmmaker by trade, and as we grow and change there are often site problems beyond her capabilities.
- Paying back our investors - How did we get this far without asking for money? We asked for money. We have been lucky to have a few friends and family members who have financed us thus far, and we want them to recoup their investments.
- Community Building - The bigger the Salty Community, the better it is for you! That means boosting Facebook posts, visiting races, hopefully offering contests, developing merch and more.
What we REALLY want - $500/month
- Compensating our writers! You have no idea how hard these women work on the stuff they post! Compensating writers when they do amazing feats of journalism would be... well... fair! It's been something we have always dreamed of. In a perfect world I'd be paying them at a starting rate of $50/post, and more for those that require lots of research or time investment. If I'm putting out one excellent post a week that's $200/month on top of the $100.
- Compensating our editors - Every post on SR is extensively edited, which is probably why you like us. We work hard to check facts, provide citations, ensure clarity and format in a way that makes posts easy and fun for you to read. In a perfect world, our editors would also receive something in the order of $25-50 an hour, and though some posts require very little editing, others take hours and hours of formatting and fact-checking.
A word about AdsLong ago we decided we didn't want to use ads. Why? First of all, you know as well as we do that they suck. They get in the way, they frustrate you, they hurt your experience of the site. Not to mention, when we have experimented with ad platforms, we often discover ad services are delivering inappropriate material to readers, particularly stuff that is gross or triggering. We are currently serving AdSense as minimally as possible, and will remove it if Patreon is successful for us.
We DO occasionally post sponsored content. But again, long ago, we decided our core value was to maintain our integrity with readers. We only post sponsored content from sponsors we think share our commitment to helping runners be awesomer. We do post reviews of products from companies we are unfamiliar with, but we are always honest with our readers about the products, and will never encourage them to buy something we think is poor quality or not useful.
Big DreamzIt wouldn't be SR without the big goals! If we can achieve the basics, we can start working on this stuff:
- Compensating our writers! You have no idea how hard these women work on the stuff they post! Compensating writers when they do amazing feats of journalism would be... well... fair! It's been something we have always dreamed of.
- Compensating our editors - Every post on SR is extensively edited, which is probably why you like us. We work hard to check facts, provide citations, ensure clarity and format in a way that makes posts easy and fun for you to read.
- An employee - SR isn't just a blog, it's a time-eating machine. It takes a lot of work to research posts, keep up with social media, handle the mountain of spam, respond to the thousand-or-so non-running marketers who contact us each week, investigate potential partnerships with actual running marketers, talk to you guys on Twitter and Facebook, work on all the graphics and other little things we do, respond to reader emails... not to mention big projects that we'd love to bring back, like Local Running Store March Madness, #SaltyChat, and the SR Merch store.
- A podcast - But like a real podcast, not just silly Cinnamon reading posts into her phone.
- Race Coverage - We've had a taste of covering races, and now we want to bring you more. Someday we would love to travel to major races of all types and bring you coverage of the women's fields, and maybe even be able to meet and greet our readers at expos.
- More Cool Series-es - We did this amazing series about a high school girls' team in Ohio. We'd love to do more stuff like that.
- A TEAM! - Seriously, we want to sponsor you! Imagine pounding through the chute in your very own Salty Running kit (snail shell optional)!
Thank you for any support you can offer us, and thank you so so much for reading Salty Running!