That's what I do: I'm a storyteller. I like to tell stories in all kinds of mediums, like games, short stories, comic books, and screenplays. I've had my fiction included in anthologies like The Lost Anthology from Galileo Games and the Doll anthology from Ginger Goat. Mostly I'm known for working on live action roleplaying games like SERVICE and the upcoming Dresden Lives project for Evil Hat Productions. It's been my privilege to work in games and to create fiction that I can share with the world. But to continue doing that, I need your help.
Since getting out of grad school, I've suffered health setbacks and have been unable to find full-time employment. Moreover, I've been trying to find a job while still producing producing the fiction and games that I love. And with my health being what it is, that's not always possible. So I want to try something new.
I want to write a novel and I want your help to do it.
Here's how it will work: every month, I will write another chapter of this novel I've had stewing in my head. It's called The Black Stairs and its a dystopian-futuristic novel inspired by 1984, The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Prophecy. (One of those things doesn't sound like the other, huh? Yeah, I know. That's the fun party). It's about the survival of the spirit versus oppression, some scary bad guys, and a killer woman protagonist named Diana Scurros that I think will kick some serious butt.
The novel will have some serious themes in it, like violence, loss of personal freedom, sexuality, and mental illness. Consider it at least a rated PG-13. There will be cursing. You know, just so you're warned.
When you support this Patreon, you will receive a single chapter a month as the novel is being written. Should you sign up to support me after the novel writing has already begun, you will receive all back chapters as well so you can catch up on the story. At the very end, I will work with an editor to get the book published, either in traditional publication or by self-publishing, with my thanks to you printed in the novel for all to see.
As thanks for your patronage, I've set up some rewards for you.
- At $1 you receive my thanks on Twitter as well as in the thanks in the finished novel and on my website.
- At $5 you will receive the chapters of The Black Stairs as they are written, plus all back chapters that were created.
- At $10 you will receive the chapters of the book, plus the completed and edited book in PDF form upon its completion.
- At $25 you'll receive the chapters of the book, the finished PDF, plus have your name written into the game somewhere. Locations, characters, items: any one of them could have your name attached.
- At $40 you'll receive the chapters of the book, the finished PDF, plus you get a Skype call with me to talk about the novel's progress and plans, or game design. Or pretty much anything else you want to chat about within reason.
- At $50 you will receive the chapters of the book, the finished PDF, plus a copy of anything else I self-publish as a game designer. This includes several upcoming small games and freeform LARP scenarios still in development. (Does not include products produced for other companies besides my own, Phoenix Outlaw Productions, nor other titles besides those of my own creation from PoP).
- At $100 you will receive the chapters of the book, the finished PDF, plus receive a physical copy of the book when its completed. Your support will also allow me to create short stories and flash fiction set in the world of The Black Stairs as they are created which will only be made available to your patron level. Additionally you'll receive the games listed in the $50 tier and special thanks both in the print of the book and on my website as Gold Level Patrons.
With your support, I will be able to continue working as a writer on the projects I love. Moreover, you'll be direct supporters in seeing this new novel take shape. Thanks for your patronage, and I can't wait to produce this story with your help.