tl;dr: I'm teaching & creating art in Romania!I am so excited you found my Patreon page and are interested in following along on this journey!
As I engage in my most ambitious globe-trotting adventure yet, my goal is to secure a way to engage with my fans in meaningful ways, while also ensuring funds for on-going art exploits. By joining my Patreon, you become part of my exclusive community and get special access to my photos, writing and much more!
If you are interested in supporting me in more of a one-time context, rather than as a monthly subscriber, that's great too! You can donate to me directly via Paypal using my email address: [email protected]
Just select the "send money to friends and family" option, enter my email address, and voilà! This saves us both from fees and assures all of your donation gets directly to me.
By supporting this Patreon, you will be effectively doing what my tip jar has done for the last several years: you will be allowing me to survive and make art.
This is a Patreon with a purpose: help me prepare to relocate to Romania by securing necessary supplies and educational materials not covered by my grant, sustain my artistic work while in-country, and sponsor an exhibition of the works created there upon my return to the United States.
Patreon means patronage, in the old, "I pay people to create for me" sense of the word. So what you are going to get from supporting this Patreon is my content. Most of it will be virtual, delivered electronically. If you back at the higher levels, some of it will be physical. (I have kept these levels extremely limited, because the point here is to create and conduct research, not to spend all the funds on mailing things around the world. That gets expensive fast.)
I have two main avenues for projects: my website, www.TOOSEXYFORCONTACTS.com and my independent art company, Storm Shadow Is'kwe (LLC).
Each is a little different in terms of content, with TSFC being more burlesque/blogosphere based, and Storm Shadow Is'kwe showcasing my works as a visual artist (including glassblowing, sculpture, and illustration.) I do "serious" academic research in linguistics and economics in addition to my more whimsical forays into the language of the Internet and American pop culture.
I plan to post a short video or blog article to highlight what was done with each month's funds (this appeals to my sense of whimsy and creates transparency/accountability for the project.)
The support of my fans and friends is everything; knowing that there are others who are as invested in my linguistic research and art projects means a lot to me. Whether you show your support through sharing my content, commenting, liking, or becoming a financial patron, I want you to know: I see you, and I thank you. This journey would not be the same without youse!
What I Will Use the Money For, Or, projected associated costs for each stage:
There are three stages to this project: the journey, the residency, and the show.
1. The Journey
- Hosting: web space for two different websites, as well as associated fees for domain names and webmail server space through DreamHost. I have included these costs in the first wave because these are all things which must be put in place and paid for in full before I leave the United States, to ensure uninterrupted continuous service. Total cost is $140 for the year.
- Weebly: I maintain one of my websites with them, and must pay for premium service in order to have it forward to my domain name. This costs $8/month ($96 for the year).
- Ongoing web development: It's a website, so there are always upsetting glitches coming out of nowhere and occasionally, I may want to add a new site feature. Currently I don't have any programming skills, so I need to pay someone to do this.
- Me. I need to continue to eat things and wear things and turn on lights as I write and draw posts. I'm just one gal with no dependents, so needs are minimal, but I do need some new kitchen items (among other things) to help me settle in.
- SoundCloud: I would like to be able to purchase a premium SoundCloud plan for hosting upcoming podcasts (a premium account has enough storage space to allow me to do this without having to delete past episodes). This costs $135 for a year.
- Wordpress Premium: Currently, I run my blog using a free version of Wordpress. I would like to upgrade to a premium account so my blog can be ad-free. This costs $99/year.
- Art Supplies: mostly paper, but also some other implements, such as colored pencils or watercolors. It will be easier and more cost effective to purchase these things in Romania than to take up space in my luggage bringing them over from the USA.
- Conferences: Application fees, hotel accommodations, food and train fare to conferences outside of Romania to present my linguistic research and photograph cultural landmarks.
- Me. Still gotta eat, even across the Atlantic. I will also need money to take trains across the country as I do my research on linguistic dialects and photograph people/places, including travel to conferences.
- Postage: For sending postcards home to friends, fans, and family, of course!
- Exhibition Space/Gallery Rental: Upon my return to the United States, I will curate an exhibition of all the artwork created abroad. I will need money to secure a venue for the show, as well as pay someone to help me hang the show. This will be the greatest expense for this 'wave.'
- Printing: To cover the cost of printing physical copies of my digital photographs.
- Framing: To cover the cost of purchasing frames for my artwork, as well as nails/hooks/wire.
- An Assistant: I know several people who have much more experience in curating and hanging art shows than I do, so I would like to be able to hire one of those individuals to help with mine. I need to be be able to fairly compensate them for their time.
- Snacks! Wine! Other Assorted Delicacies: I've been to a lot of art shows, and my least favorites are the ones that don't serve snacks. I will not be one of those art shows.
- Additional Grab Bag Surprises: Cost of creating items for the VIP swag grab bags.
This is my first time using Patreon, so this will be a learning experience for me too. I hope you can join me. Miigweetch [thank you] for any support you can offer if you decide to, and thanks for being a fan!
Mi'iwi [that's all] <3