Solus is empowered by the shared vision of a strong community working for a common goal. All developments and improvements to Solus are by people who want to use their computers just like you do. Solus stands strong on an open platform, powered by industry-proven technologies, including GNU/Linux.
Solus is responsible for a number of software projects, such as the flagship Budgie Desktop which sees widespread adoption in the Linux world. We also contribute to a number of projects such as the MATE Desktop project and collaborate with other key players in these spaces, including Ubuntu MATE. Through your support of Solus, you support:
- The Solus operating system ("Solus") - an independent, Linux based rolling release distribution.
- All child projects, such as Budgie Desktop, Brisk Menu, linux-steam-integration, linux-driver-management, and many more
- Currently one full time developer (Ikey Doherty, project founder) to work constantly on improving Solus
- Collaboration with other projects and upstreams through patches and fixes, benefiting many other projects outside Solus itself
In return we promise:
- The core OS and projects ("tree") are considered "sovereign", and will always remain free and accessible to all
- Updates and released medium will remain free, forever.
- Solus will always remain on-target. That is, the core "tree" that makes Solus what it is, will stay true to its goals of providing a computing platform aimed squarely at ease of use, with a specific focus on home and personal computing
- Solus will expand to meet the demands of its userbase in a fashion that is in keeping with the previous points. Any initiatives that may arise outside of the core scope will never compromise the sovereignty of the "core tree", and will branch in a way that will only permit improvements to the core, to ensure users are always unaffected by multiple scopes.
- Solus will always guide, guard, and enable the user to meet the challenges of today.
- To utilise funding from the community to enable stronger development on Solus through the future employment of more developers. This ensures community funding goes back into Solus in a tangible fashion.
- To be forever grateful to our amazing community for supporting us to not only do what we love, but to make your computing lives better too.
Budgie is the flagship desktop of Solus. See the video at the top of this page for a speedy tour around the desktop! Budgie, like all Solus projects, is built for the user based on user needs and community feedback. Solus and Budgie continue to evolve and improve to ensure a rich experience for all, that makes no assumption on ability or skill-set.