Here you can help support me so that I can continue producing and providing free and unbiased guides for people who are looking to live, work, retire or start a business in Thailand.
Since you're here, I think it's safe to assume that you are a member of the Thailand Starter Kit community and you'd love to help me continue creating quality content, without the need to overpopulate my website with banners and popups in order to fund the site.
Your support will help me maintain the website's user-friendly feel and quality of content.
What I Do?
I provide free guides to current and future visitors who are looking to live, work, study and travel in Thailand.
I cover the essential and pragmatic topics every expat and tourist has to figure out. My step-by-step guides cover health insurance, renting apartments, opening bank accounts, hiring lawyers, finding international schools, finding cheap hotels and flights, and other challenges visitors and expats will encounter in Thailand.
I created Thailand Starter Kit with the aim of sharing my knowledge and experiences to make your life easier in Thailand. I've achieved this goal and over the years I've shared my knowledge and experiences with thousands of visitors and expats. But creating these in-depth guides takes a lot of time and resources.
The site currently generates some revenue through a few channels but only enough to cover about half of what it cost me to run the site and this isn't sustainable, though. But I'd love to keep producing high-quality content that is free to everyone. And with your support, I believe I can.
You can support my cause by becoming a Patron.
Whether you decide to support my work by pledging $1, $50, or more, I genuinely appreciate your support and thank you very much. People like you mean a lot to me.
My Gift to You
I am grateful for every pledge. No matter how big or small, your contribution will go a long way in helping me to continue producing high quality, unbiased Thailand guides. As a thank you, I've put together the following rewards, depending on the tier that you subscribe to:
- Bonus content – On top of the free guides that I provide on my website, you'll get extra content which contains the most practical advice to help you smoothly transition into expat life in Thailand.
- Private Facebook group – Unlike most other Thailand expat Facebook groups, I carefully select and screen all members who wish to become members of my private Facebook community. You can ask questions and get useful answers from our community members in the group. You'll become a member of this exclusive community of expats, some of whom have been living in Thailand for over ten years.
- Personal Q&A emails – You'll have direct contact to the Thailand Starter Kit team, who'll answer all your expat related questions about Thailand.
- Free monthly preparation guide – You will get a monthly preparation guide that contains information about special offers and discounts on flights, hotels, events, and other useful information that'll help you prepare for the month ahead.
- Karsten's personal list of services – You get access to direct contact forms for the personal and professional services that I use for my business and personal life.
- Access to all ebooks as they are released – You'll get full access to all my content, including ebooks. The ebooks contain the most practical information on how to live in Thailand and cover various topics such as renting, traveling, buying condos, and working in Thailand.
- First access to any expat job opportunities that I receive – Since companies in Thailand are limited to the amount of expats they hire, getting a job here is a big challenge. I'll send you all job opportunities open for expats that I receive from companies within my network, before they are shared with the rest of the community.
Why We Need Your Support and How We’ll Use the Money
Right now, the majority of the budget for the website comes out of my own pocket. We started generating some revenue through a number of revenue channels, but that amounts to at most 50% of the site's budget in a good month.
However, this isn't sustainable. In the future, it would be awesome if the site could actually pay for itself while we can continue to expand the content and keep existing posts up to date. Here are some of our current and future expenses:
- Writing and Research: We would like to cover a wider range of topics and improve the quality of our guides. This means we have to hire more writers, who are knowledgeable in other topics related to expat life in Thailand.
- Editing: It currently takes us about two months from start to finish to publish every guide on Thailand Starter Kit. This means we not only have to pay writers, but two editors. Using two editors means we can create accurate and error free long-form content.
- Active Campaign: We use this paid newsletter tool to send our audience articles as they are published and to keep them updated with our latest news.
- Facebook: We run a private Facebook community where current and future Thailand expats can ask each other questions, get advice, and pick the minds of our special AMA (Ask Me Anything) guests. Moderating the Facebook group to keep away trolls, spammers, and negative Nancy's (sorry Nancy!) takes time. As does setting up and hosting our AMAs.
- Podcasting: Karsten also hosts the Brewed in Bangkok Podcast, which showcases fascinating interviews and off-the-beaten-track insights about Thailand. It’s a unique show about about Thailand. We would love to produce more episodes of the podcast but this has also been challenging with the current budget limitations.
- Website Maintenance: Just like we take our cars in for regular service and oil changes, a website also needs to be maintained. We have to pay for hosting, plugins, and other tools that allow us to keep the website up and running. We’ve also hired an IT professional to maintain the site.
- Keep the Website Ad Free: Similar websites to ours run banner and popup adds to generate income for their sites. But we would love to structure Thailand Starter Kit so that you could read our guides ad-free.
I hope you can become a patron and join our community of Thailand expats, tourists, and the plain-old curious. Your support, no matter how big or small is greatly appreciated. Thank you!