The Anthropologistsis creating investigative theatre and community events
Select a membership level
Whether you are sending us love from afar or right around the corner, we love you right back. Your public declaration as a valued supporter will be known to all. Plus, think of all the good karma!
• Name listed on website & programs
• Social media shout out
You are an enthusiastic fan! You are passionate about our mission. You know that a little bit goes a long way. Your name will be etched among the stars, as well as on our website and in our programs. We'll sing your praises on social media!
- Name listed on website & in programs
- Social media shout out
You are a devoted donor. Your monthly contributions will build a strong foundation for our general operating expenses. In return, you'll receive our heartfelt appreciation PLUS exclusive access to Patron-only discount codes - up to 50% ticket prices! Additionally, Travelers get to attend our Jam Sessions (monthly physical theatre training) for free.
Plus, a NEW perk: you can join in our private Slack channel to share research, brainstorm ideas and keep up with our adventures while we're on tour.
Benefit round up:
- Access to private Slack channel
- Patron-only Discount Codes (up to 50% off tix to shows & events!)
- Free Jam Sessions
- Listing on our website & programs + shout out on social media
What we do:
- use historical & scientific research paired with cultural artifacts to create dynamic theatre
- build plays from the ground up using collaborative techniques
- offer low-cost training opportunities to artists
- pair performance with civic engagement and direct action
- foster dialogue across all boundaries
"a promising young company"
Favorite stories we've brought to the stage:
- Marie Ganz and the women of the 1917 food riots.
- The women garment workers who planted the seeds of revolution in Egypt.
- That time a white guy tried to start his own country in Africa.
- The life, work and words of 17th century painter Artemisia Gentileschi.
Theater Is Easy
But... how is this different from any other theatre company?
Unlike most theatre, the script comes... LAST. In an Anthropologists' show, our work is created through a deep dive into research. It's a laboratory environment where ideas are tested and analyzed and diverse elements are combined (physical theatre + source material + design concepts). The rehearsal studio is a space for artists of all disciplines - from designer to performer - to create content that is ultimately crafted into a finished play. Together, we write performance.
Each play can typically take 8-24 months to develop, from research and brainstorming to creative development and production. Time and space are two of the rarest resources in NYC but we are committed to bucking the trend because we believe this is the way to great art.
What your patronage will fuel:
Your monthly support allows us to stay flexible and adventurous! We pride ourselves in taking risks and jumping at opportunities, like bringing shows to festivals.
But we're also following good business practices (why, hello Quickbooks subscription and General Liability Insurance!).
A monthly stream of income will help us to achieve our goal of increasing artist stipends and paying for administrative support.
and the madness of the moment."
The Theatre Times
Important! Although we are a non-profit, your Patreon membership is not tax deductible. If you'd prefer to make a one-time fully tax-deductible donation, you may do so via our fiscal sponsor, Fractured Atlas. Click here!
Read our letter of support for the Black Lives Matter movement here.