Having been around for years, The Blemish has always gotten by on its good looks and putting ads up on the page. However, things have changed... man. Ads are dying and we're now being subjected to 20 lashings a day. We're not exactly sure what the lashings are for, but we're told they'll stop once we start covering "costs". Whatever that means.
Here's the deal. Our hatred of ads have kept us from putting popups/unders or interstitials on the page. While lucrative, they're annoying af. We've decided to see if we can run entirely through reader support.
Once we reach our first goal, we'll be taking those display ads off the page and doing only specific campaigns.
Once we reach our second goal, we'll run ad free.
Any amount that goes beyond will be put back into the site in the form of writers, licensing and maybe even video.
Costs? What costs?
- Writers. Despite what people tell you, writers need actual food to survive.
- Hosting. We're running a dedicated server that's been getting a little dusty.
- Ongoing web development. Things break. Things get made.
- Licensing. Those photos cost money.
- Marketing. We want to introduce ourselves to the world.