We are dedicated to sharing true, personal stories about science. We host live storytelling shows and showcase the most hilarious, tragic, weird, and inspiring stories on our weekly podcast. We also offer workshops to help make science stories shine.
Since 2010, we have produced more than 150 storytelling events in the US and UK, and our podcast has been downloaded almost 6 million times. We’re proud of that, but we think we can do so much more.
We need your support to:
- diversify the perspectives represented among our team and storytellers, and
- expand our presence beyond big, coastal cities.
We believe science is vital and that it belongs to everyone. We believe stories about our lives are important and people shouldn’t be afraid to tell them just because they aren’t experts. We also happy to believe the data showing that stories are better than other kinds of communication formats at generating interest, improving comprehension, influencing beliefs, and persuading skeptical audiences. (And yes, we’re happy to share citations!). Most importantly, we believe sharing stories is glorious fun.
Science, technology, medicine, and engineering are some of the most important and powerful influences in our lives. We believe everyone has science stories, whether they realize it or not (helping people figure that out is part of our mission!).
Our team is pretty nerdy, but not all of us are scientists, and neither are our storytellers.
How this works
Like most crowd-funding campaigns, you set the amount and choose if you want thank-you rewards tied to certain gift amounts. Patreon sets up a monthly donation rather than a one-time deal. We're hoping that a lot of you think we are worth about $5/month (roughly $1 per podcast)!
It’s important to us that this system is good to our supporters.
- Yes, you can cancel at any me.
- Yes, you can adjust your donation or opt out each month.
- Yes, donations are tax-deductible.
- Yes, if you prefer to make a lump-sum donation, you can do that.
How we spend funds
We manage our money in keeping with our mission. We believe in keeping ticket prices low so as many people can afford our live shows as possible. And while paywalls can be profitable, we are committed to keeping all our content freely available, always.
As a 501(c)3 our income is a mix of donations, grants, ticket sales, and workshop fees. Together, these pay for our staff and producers to:
- find, coach, and rehearse storytellers;
- hire photographers and sound technicians to record our events;
- host and produce the podcast;
- travel to shows outside our home cities;
- maintain our online presence, media storage & backups;
- read, write, and talk about storytelling in academic and popular outlets;
- develop lectures and exercises for our workshops and speaking opportunities;
- do all the things it take to keep the lights on, taxes filed, and beasts of chaos at bay.
Our crowd-funding goals
Our core mission is to help people feel an emotional connection to science. We do this by producing our live shows and podcast, and leading storytelling trainings for scientists. It’s always exciting to develop ideas for new projects (we have lots!), but our core focus always will be on diversifying our stories, storytellers, audiences, and locations beyond the usual suspects. Again, we need your support to:
- expand the perspectives represented among our team and storytellers, and
- host shows outside our existing presence in big,coastal cities.
Liz, Erin, and the whole Story Collider team
Will the podcast still be free?
Yes! Our podcast will always be free, and we are committed to keeping our entire archive available to all listeners.
What if I want to change or cancel my donation?
No problem. Every month Patreon will send you an email reminding you what your pledge was, and you have the option to change it before you're charged. (That kind of ease and flexibility is why we love Patreon, btw.)