The Victory Press is a news outlet dedicated to covering women's sports.
We also publish features and essays related to feminism/gender/social issues as they pertain to sports, with the goal of making the Victory Press an inclusive home for quality writing on these issues.
Any amount of support goes directly towards paying our writers and editorial staff for their work and reimbursing expenses.
Right now, we have a full staff dedicated to covering women's hockey and we also currently publish feature content on social issues in sports.
We pay a monthly staff writer stipend for our writers and travel expense reimbursement so that they can get to the sporting events that they want to cover. For example, we had our editor and a staff writer travel to Boston for the Outdoor Women's Classic on New Year's Eve. We're also handling all postseason coverage for women's hockey, and will have writers at the finals for the NWHL (Isobel Cup), CWHL (Clarkson Cup), and NCAA (Frozen Four).
We want to be able to solicit writers and editors who are familiar with other sports and publish unique, exclusive stories about those too. We're interested in all types of college sports, Olympic sports, professional wrestling--pretty much anything you can think of. We'd love to grow our editorial staff to include writers who know more about these things, and provide you with thoughtful, independent coverage that you simply won't get anywhere else. (And of course, once hockey season rolls around again, we'll be providing you with the same dedicated coverage that you are used to seeing.)
To give you an idea of the diverse body of writing we've been able to publish so far:
- Compromising with the NHL by Clare Austin -- one of our most widely shared articles delves into what it means to be a woman and a fan of the NHL
- Growing the Game, Parity, and Catchphrases in Women's College Hockey by Nicole Haase -- a fantastically reported article about the diversification and growth of women's college hockey
- Outdoor Women's Classic: Before and After by Jashvina Shah -- Jashvina offers analysis of the Outdoor Women's Classic event, the first NWHL/CWHL inter-league exhibition, which was played outdoors on New Year's Eve at Gillette Stadium ahead of the NHL Winter Classic.
- Devon Skeats Speeds Into Power Role with Beauts by Melissa Kania -- Melissa profiles Beauts forward Devon Skeats, who has been a breakout player for the team this year in the NWHL
- Princess KimberLee of CHIKARA and Making a Weightlifter by Zoë Hayden -- two profiles by Zoë about women in traditionally "masculine" sports settings: pro wrestling and Olympic weightlifting.
- Waiting Doesn't Work: Transphobia in Sports by Andrew -- A look at how backwards ideas about gender and the gender binary are hurting trans people as both sports fans and athletes.