We are Columbo "Sama" Ahmed and Keith Foster, two California-based record collectors who love music and podcasting! Since July 2014, we have been hosting a weekly podcast called The Vinyl Exam where we have featured stories by vinyl record collectors, highlighted fantastic records and artists, and hosted a slew of amazing DJ mixes. We also write a monthly newsletter called Liner Notes full of commentary, record reviews and histories, record shop highlights, and art.
Here's one of our earliest episodes, hosted by Keith and featuring record collector and Aloha Got Soul label master, Roger Bong.
It's now December 2016, and since we launched The Vinyl Exam, we have featured 35+ guests, released 130+ episodes, and received 55,000+ downloads and listens. We are amazed at how much love and support we have received from our listeners, so we made the decision to grow our program into something even better, and we need you to help us get there!
We have always known that we wanted The Vinyl Exam to be something much bigger than the average podcast. We have always brainstormed ideas for creative, large-scale episodes and side projects. For example, we want to write a Vinyl Exam book, build our website into a community space, and bring more people into our production team. That's why we are on Patreon. We need *your* help and support to grow The Vinyl Exam.
By becoming a patron, you help us do the following:
- Stay on the air: Hosting a podcast and website costs a lot of money. Just basic running costs keep us from investing in more creative programming. With your support, we can go beyond just staying on the air.
- Produce better episodes: The more Patreon support we have, the more we can invest in our episodes. We can pay for audio transcriptions, better equipment, and travel.
- Reach more listeners: The Vinyl Exam has grown organically for 2.5 years. We have not paid for any advertising and have relied solely on our listeners to pass the word. With more Patreon support, we can reach more people.
- Publish a book: We have been kicking around the idea of publishing a Vinyl Exam coffee table book. We have already started prepping material for this in the form of our monthly newsletter, Liner Notes.
- Hire other contributors: We have plans to grow our team. We already brought one blogger (Matt Scott) and photographer (Ryan Jones) on board, and we want to commission art and music projects from other creative people.
There are so many goals we want to reach, and we can do it, but only with your support! We hope you become a Patron. We have some awesome rewards waiting for you!
We want this Patreon page to be the go-to place for a behind-the-scenes look into our programming and progress. We want to hear from you and for us to build a Vinyl Exam community together.
Thanks so much for your support!
- Sama and Keith
Note: Why Patreon and not Kickstarter?
It's simple; it's because our costs are ongoing. We want The Vinyl Exam to be a long-running podcast and Patreon lets us to just that! A one-time crowdfunder like Kickstarter or Indiegogo won't help us reach our goals. If you become a patron, then your monthly contribution will go a long way to supporting our program. And don't forget about the rewards you get!