I am the Well-Red Mage. I love writing. I love telling stories. I've loved the act of creating since I was a child drawing my own characters and writing up their fiction. Now, I'm combining two things I love, writing and video games, in order to change the face of journalism.
In February 2016, we launched thewellredmage.com as a small group of friends. Since then, our site has grown from less than a handful of writers to a host of contributors whose talent we're happy to showcase. We've featured hundreds of long-form, analytical reviews on games, film, television, and literature spanning from the 1930's to the present day. We don't know what the future holds but we do know that we want to keep expanding, keep partnering with new writers and developers, keep aspiring to more and better content.
We believe our work is important at this point in history.
Ours is a creative race. Games are a part of that, so we treat them as an art form to be analyzed, discussed, and critiqued with respect. Our ludology team of independent writers emphasizes in-depth reviews on games (and entertainment) from any era on any platform. Discovering and exploring the worlds of fiction our species has created tells us more about who we are and why we think the way we do.
Why are we here? Is there meaning in the universe? What does it mean to be human? Some of life's biggest questions are tackled by religion, philosophy, literature, but we find some overlap in video games.
Here's another one of life's big questions: Why should you become a patron of the Well-Red Mage? Well, patrons will have access to a variety of exclusive content and rewards:
- Your name/link included on our blog roster of Warriors of Light
- Monthly content creators essays with practical advice, tips 'n tricks for success
- Access to our exclusive Discord community, Mage Chat
- Access to fiction not available anywhere else
- Twitter support with retweets
I also want to be clear about how I plan to use any support that comes through Patreon:
- Maintaining our domain at WordPress and eventually purchasing better paid plans for more functionality.
- Purchasing better equipment for our YouTube channel, Mage Cast podcast, and potentially other projects like streaming.
- Paying for the games themselves! We handle a lot of game keys from developers but the big name games are also titles we're interested in covering with our distinctive long-form analysis, but this costs money, too.
- Repaying our contributors for their work!
Yes, I literally want to pay the people who write for this site. If you want more frequent, higher quality posts in our style, please support our work. Patreon is just a small way in which we can continue to reward our readers, as well as continue to grow as a source of community and inspiration in saving journalism.
Additionally, becoming a patron of the Well-Red Mage is something more meaningful than just collecting a bunch of exclusive rewards. We're all born into our place in history for a reason and I believe I'm here with my team to help transform the landscape.
Don't just complain about mainstream gaming journalism. Support the change. Champion writers who are passionate about gaming and who, y'know, actually play games. Champion the virtues of open discussion without retaliation. Champion honesty and the difference between critiquing and selling a product. Champion integrity over hyperbole. Champion content over clickbait. Champion human decency. Champion community. Champion going against the mainstream.
Help us inspire.
Would you consider becoming our monthly patron? Click that well-red Become a Patron button. Adventure with us. Thanks for visiting!