My main web site is here: Thorfinn Tait Cartography. That's where I post new maps.
This Patreon is about helping me to make more maps for you and others to enjoy, and use in RPGs. During the day I work as a high school teacher in Japan. So all of my mapping is done in what little spare time I can find. I also have two (soon to be three) small children, so my time is quite limited.
That's where I need your help. With a little funding, I could afford to spend more time on mapping. I could also invest in more software to assist with my efforts.
In short, I could make more maps.
I want to produce more Calidar maps. In fact, I want to map the whole world, continent by continent.
Bruce brought me in on his Calidar project back in July 2013, and I've been working with him on it ever since. I spent six months of that time developing a digital elevation model for the heart of the setting, the Great Caldera. But that's just one small (though important) region of Calidar. There's so much more still to do.
In Calidar, Bruce has created not just a world, but a whole solar system, including three major planets, three large moons, three dwarf planets, and an alien dungeon world. All of these need mapping, and I can't wait to roll up my sleeves and start.
My cartographic palette these days is based on 3D digital elevation models, which I use to create pseudo-satellite style maps, as well as more standard topographical maps, and of course the hex maps that I've become most well known for.
All of my maps are designed to be as accurate as possible. They are georegistered using custom coordinate systems that I have created for each planet. This opens up lots of possibilities, from presenting the worlds in different projections, to Google Maps-like interactive interfaces.
But I need your support to do this.
Calidar Publishing is an indie publisher, financed mostly through Kickstarter, and working on a tight budget to produce the best products possible. If Calidar ever becomes big enough for Bruce to employ me full time, I will be there in a heartbeat. But in the meantime, financing extensive maps is just not on the cards.
I have poured my heart and soul into this project for three years now, and I will continue to do so. But with your support, I could do so much more.
So how does this thing work?
If you're familiar with Kickstarter, it's a similar idea, but on a smaller scale and without an end date. The Reward tiers and stretch Goals are very similar.
Where it differs is this: with Patreon, you can pledge to support each map I publish here with however much you like. You become a patron of my work, enabling me to create more maps for you all. Here's a quick summary:
- Choose how much to contribute for each map I publish.
- Set a monthly limit for your contribution. I plan to publish 1-2 maps each month, so feel free to set your limit at double your "per map" contribution, which means that if I ever publish 3 or more maps in a month, you won't be charged for them.
- Please, only pledge what you can afford. I'd hate to be a drain on your cash flow, so please only pledge from your disposable income. If you can't afford to, know that there are other ways to support my work, such as spreading the word, and sharing my posts on social media. Thank you for your kindness! You are amazing.
- Finished maps will be released to the Internet (at standard resolution), and may be shared freely. In fact, please share them and help spread the word about my maps and Calidar!
- You can get private access to higher resolution versions at the higher reward tiers. These versions are for patrons' personal use only — please do not share these files.
- All maps are official World of Calidar maps, produced with the consent and backing of Bruce Heard.
- Copyright for maps belongs to Calidar Publishing, and select maps may appear in future Calidar products. Bruce has consented to release the maps I create for this Patreon under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Finally, here's a special message from Bruce Heard:
"It is with great excitement that I await what new wonderful maps Thorfinn comes up with. For me, they are springboards for new adventure ideas. I hope you all join his effort to paint more geographic faces on this brave new fantasy world. "