Type Brigade is Vancouver’s type speaker series, with regular typography, lettering, and type design talks from local and out-of-town speakers.
We’ve previously hosted speakers from out of town, including:
- Bruno Maag of Dalton Maag, from London
- Christian Schwartz & Paul Barnes of Commercial Type, from New York and London
- Iris Sprague from Seattle
- Roxane Gataud from Paris
- Various Lost Type contributors from the United States
One of the things we’re most proud of is when we can host talks with some of the amazingly talented designers, typographers, type designers, illustrators, and lettering artists in greater Vancouver, including:
- Alex Nelson & Beau House, founders of Post Projects
- Alvin Kwan & Vince Lo, founders of Studio Faculty
- John Hudson, co-founder of Tiro Typeworks
- Jacquie Shaw, designer at Subplot Design
- Kisyuu 書道家 姫洲, Japanese calligrapher
- Phoebe Glasfurd, co-founder of Glasfurd & Walker
- Tierney Milne, independent designer and artist
Here’s where you come in
Thanks to an incredibly enthusiastic audience, we’ve hosted over 20 free events over the past 3+ years. Now, we’re hoping to keep Type Brigade more financially sustainable while still keeping the ticket price for our main events completely free.
This will help us cover our regular event expenses, bring in speakers from out-of-town, and fund projects for the Type Brigade community we would otherwise have difficulty pulling off.
Founded in 2011 by Shelley Gruendler, the meet up was re-launched as Type Brigade in 2014 by Kenneth Ormandy, Cody Jones and friends. Since then, we’ve organised over 20 free events in Vancouver. The organizing team also includes Alanna Munro and Nancy Wu, with regular help from various members of the Type Brigade audience, including all our supporters here on Patreon—thank you!