to being bold, brave & full of color
Freedom in art for me involves learning to recognize disenfranchisement, detaching its weight from my shoulders, to let it be carried by collective struggle. I am inspired by stories of resilience and revolution, in particular by Malcolm X, Assata Shakur and Angela Davis. The freedom I achieve through creating comes from my passion for beauty and the power of people. Using a combination of watercolors on wood, watercolor on Yupo and Dura-lar, poetry, movement and voice, I orchestrate performances where we may challenge our fears, craft our freedom and nurture our empowerment.
As a hard-working, scrapy creator, I am fiercely dedicated to refining my artistic message to support self and political empowerment of people. Your support is a MAJOR contribution towards expanding my capacity, scope and reach as an artist.
With your support, I am able to:
- record, mix and master new songs
- purchase materials and equipment (a projector for live watercolor painting during shows)
- continue working with my artist business coach
- create more powerful, paint infused music videos
- share knowledge and teach workshops for artists and non-artists
Let's do this!
If you are in a space in life where you can contribute towards the art I create and share with the world, jump in on a monthly Reward! I have put together some fun ways of saying thank you each month for your contribution. One of my favorites is the:
- $3 Reward/ month which means you'll get downloads of all the music I create each month and a High- res watercolor or music video image to keep as a wallpaper for your devices. (If we're gonna look at a screen, it might as well be beautiful, naturey and inspiring, right?)
- Proposed a performance and was accepted to perform at the Wharton School of Impact for a conference on mindful investing to create social change (including projected watercolor footage, performing with my bandmate Lee Clarke and dancer Kingsley Ibeneche)
- Submitted my first grant application to the William H. Johnson Prize- more of these to come
- Started painting watercolor on wood pieces which are now hanging in two cafes in the Philadelphia area (Luna Cafe and Sweetbriar Cafe)
This year I intent to:
- Show art at a gallery in NYC and perform with my performance team for the opening
- Install a 4ft by 8ft watercolor piece in a public space (Anthropologie, West Elm or a hotel)
- Record a full length album and go on a release tour
If you have connections or suggestions for how to support any of these endeavors, please drop me a line at [email protected]. Thank you for being part of this adventure!