By curating a series of highly immersive event experiences we promote original thinking and aim to connect audiences with one of the most important intellectual and cultural developments of our times – the technological extension of the human condition. These events are unique gatherings where the morphing of cultural space is accelerated by the head-on collision of science, theory, music, fiction, and multimedia.
Virtual Futures (VF) brings together artists, philosophers, cultural theorists, scientists, technologists and fiction writers to re-address the potential benefits of looking at our future through a techno-philosophical lens.
As our goal is to imbue as many people as possible with these unique ideas and concepts, all of our discussions are filmed and made freely available to our highly engaged YouTube audience under a creative commons licence.
HOW WE USE YOUR PLEDGE
Your generous contributions will help us extend the scope of our activities and provide audiences with deeper insight into the topics we seek to confront. Your pledge will be used in five central ways:
- Archive - Virtual Futures will digitise its archive of cyberculture papers, videos and abstracts. Your pledge will help us make this content freely available online.
- Speakers - Your contribution will allow us to invite international speakers to our events, bringing an international perspective to our discussions.
- Video - All of our events have been recorded in high-definition with multi-track broadcast-quality audio. Your pledge will help us to continue to invest in the best filmmaking talent and further increase the quality of our output
- Publication - Virtual Futures is transcribing all of our discussions for a series of upcoming publications.Your pledge will help us launch our first series of books this year.
- Podcast - Let’s reach even more people! VF has pre-recorded interviews with pioneers in cybernetics, sex robotics, e-waste, AI, cognition, human enhancement, VR and gaming! Your pledge will help us produce these broadcast-quality interviews as unique audio essays and release them freely on all of the major podcasting platforms.
As a community interest company, Virtual Futures cannot exist without the generous support of our audience and patrons.
HISTORY OF VIRTUAL FUTURES
The original Virtual Futures Conferences, hosted at the University of Warwick in 1994, 1995 and 1996, saw a group of renegade philosophers lock horns with the future based on the provocations of evidence provided by the emergence of the Internet. Their predictions were wild, exerted creative licence and were unfaithful to every academic discipline.
Due to this unique history Virtual Futures provides an extraordinary speaker and attendee list, made up of the world's leading thinkers and intellectuals. Our community includes a range of successful columnists, journalists (for The Telegraph, Guardian, Wired Magazine), academics, artists, science fiction authors, designers, scientists, software developers and technology consultants.
Become a Virtual Futures Patron and join the network of incredible individuals who are committed to injecting a critical voice into conversations around technological progress.
Virtual Futures has been featured in Times Higher Education, VICE MOTHERBOARD, Wired Magazine, The Guardian, BBC 5 Live Radio and BBC Click Radio.
View a clip from the recent VICE MOTHERBOARD's documentary ‘Living with Future Prosthetics’ below: