Welcome to the Ultraviolet GrasslandsThe Ultraviolet Grasslands (UVG) is a rules-light rpg pointcrawl module inspired by psychedelic heavy metal, the Dying Earth genre, and Oregon Trail games. It takes a group of ‘heroes’ into the depths of a vast and mythic steppe filled with the detritus of time and space and fuzzy riffs.
Get your free, introductory version here.
The UVG is for referees, game masters, judges, players, and fans of role-playing games who want to run a months’ long science fantasy Marco Polo-style voyage across a weird, old world. The UVG is for any gamer who wants to mine it for inspiration, adventuring locations, odd characters, maps, items, and random encounters. The UVG is also an artbook knitting together my art and maps and writing. Yes, every nut and fault, from layout to lamarckian monstrosity, is my own work.
It is encouraged, and made possible, by the fantastic support of my fans on patreon. Thank you, the heroes of the stratometaship.
It is also still a work in progress. The responsibility for every typo, every error, and every missing statistic, is entirely mine.
Now, enter the silver machine.
1. I'm creating a long-distance pointcrawl sandbox and I've covered 22 areas so far (of 30 total). With each monthly update I add two areas. It's full of words, about 50k now.
Psst: How does that work in Patreon terms?
2. It's full of art. I draw a few new pieces for each update, so we'll hit about 100 pieces soon.
3. It's rules-optional. Though I write rules and stats to simulate a weird para-apocalyptic world and wilderness adventuring on a scale of weeks and months, you can take them or leave them.
4. It also has maps, NPCs, and a lot of cats. The story (and setting) started in the Violet City and went West from there.
My patrons: the heroesI must repeat my thanks to my patrons. You are the true heroes of the WizardThiefFighter story. I started this patreon with no clear idea than a donation box for my fantasy and rpg art, and you responded. You stuck by me as I turned it into an illustrated choose-your-own-adventure. You stuck by me as I refined that concept into the psychedelic sandbox of the Ultraviolet Grasslands.
And more than that, you inspired me and continue to inspire me. When I get a messages like this:
"Hey, just wanted to say again how pleased I am with everything you've been putting out. My group fucking loves the setting, and they've only just begun."
"Your class pictures ( wizardthieffighter.com/2017/40-not-classy-satire-of-heroes) and description of the cleric as a "tomb-robbing heal-bot" hooked me :)"It's good to see I'm doing something right.
—Luka Rejec, April 2018
Other ProjectsI'm working with the Hydra Co-operative to complete the Slumbering Ursine Dunes (What Ho will come soon!) and to put out the Necropolis—a living, breathing sacred site about to be destroyed, with help from a group of PCs.
I also illustrate a fair number of rpg and card game things. I'll list them up someday.
Want more?I draw and write. Follow along and let's mediate socially!
- My Google+ collection Art of WizardThiefFighter is huge and where it all started. You can also find #WTF on Facebook and Instagram and Twitterdeep.
- If you want more serious writing about life, culture, design, and living in a strange land: lukarejec.com.